Thursday, February 9, 2012

Alphabetica, Adamica Romani - the finished stone.

I usually make a point of including at least a couple of process
photos with every piece - to explain a bit more about how what
you are seeing came to be.  For those who are new to this blog
the letters for this alphabet are not copied from a computer font
or from a type face.  They are drawn by hand - and then carved
by hand - with a mallet and chisel.  The letter forms are the result
of my immersion in drawing and carving letters for the past 14years.
  Traditional Roman letter have a timeless lure - and a timeless
strength.  The have captured me - somewhat against my will,
and I come back to them again and again, with new ideas - and
new ways of seeing - knowing they have so much to teach - and me,
so much to learn!

A detail of the raw stone (slate) and the carved letters before painting.

The finished letters, oil paints.

detail...

detail...



Roman Letters, Really?

  Ok, in writing the above and posting the photos, I realize that for those of you not involved with calligraphy or typography - talking about beautiful letters, and especially Roman Capitals, which we all learned by age 7, may seem a little boring.  Odd though it may be - they (letters) are everywhere.  They are the foundation for everything we communicate in writing, whether it is a text message or an ancient manuscript.  I often take letters for granted, they are deceivingly simple marks.  Yet these 26 characters are used to affirm the tenets of democracy - religion - your favorite book (or screenplay?) and the reservation for your eye doctor appointment.  I would venture to say they are in essence - a pillar of our culture, without which - much of what we take for granted could not exist or be built upon.

  But of course, as an artist - for the moment - the above piece, is not so much a direct celebration of their function.  I see it as more of a family gathering, carved in stone.  It is a chance for some of the more shy and eccentric characters to socialize with the more outgoing vowel types.  Most especially, it is also a chance for me (and hopefully you) to just enjoy them all - for the beautiful characters they are. 

2 comments:

  1. Great to see someone interested in Romans. Have you read Origin of the Serif by E.M. Catich? Love the polychrome letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father Catich for sure - I introduce all my students to him as a must read (or at least a must browse and encourage them to look at all of the letters).

    Glad you like the letter color choices in the Alphabet. I had a very different plan in the beginning - but once I started mixing paint things went in a very different direction.

    ReplyDelete